I know that I’ve said this before but oh how I love that it is spring. I mean even though it has been gloomy and wet for a few days (thanks to the weather in England), but none the less it is warmer which is something that this island girl truly appreciates.
So I’m the type of girl that loves and I do mean LOVE spicy food. I do remember a period where practically every day I had chilies or jalapenos or some kind of hot sauce on nearly everything I ate. I did reduce the amount of spices I have on a regular basis, but from time to time I just need to have my spice. And lately I’ve been craving spicy, and these buffalo chicken wraps fulfilled that and more.
There are quite a few things that I love about this recipe and in combination with each other there is only one way to describe it and that is simply delicious.
The buffalo chicken is quick and easy to make and they are slightly crispy and just saucy enough; and that is just the way I love my buffalo chicken. Personally I prefer to use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for my buffalo chicken but you can use any hot sauce that you have available. I do advise against avoiding sauces with additional flavours. And with it being spring a fresh new season, I decided to pull on the crispiness of a granny smith apple. The apple brings a different freshness then the typical celery which I greatly enjoy. And since trying this I do not see myself going back to celery with my buffalo wings and maybe you won’t either. I also decided to zest up my blue cheese sauce, literally speaking. Lemon zest works wonders when you combine it with that blue cheese. It cuts the sharpness of the cheese just enough and adds even more freshness to this wrap, I’m telling you it takes it up a level that you won’t want to come down from…ever.
This recipe is definitely going to be on my short list for when I need something fresh yet spicy and oh so filling. Just thinking about it makes me want to whip up another batch.
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 6 Mini Tortilla Wraps
- 3 cups Spinach (loosely packed)
- 1 ½ cups of Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Corn Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Pepper
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 50 grams Mild Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sour Cream
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- ¾ cups Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- Blue Cheese
- Using the back of a spoon break down the blue cheese until it is as creamy as possible. Add in the sour cream and mayonnaise and thoroughly combine. For a creamier consistency increase the amount of mayonnaise (alternatively add greek yogurt). Add in the lemon zest and combine.
Apple Topping Core and dice the apple into ½ inch square pieces and set aside.
- SAUCE: Over low-medium heat melt butter in a sauce pan. Once butter has melted add in hot sauce and thoroughly combine. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
Chicken Heat oven to 120°F (50°C). Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. In a large bowl spread the corn flour and set aside. Cut chicken breast into portions which are 3 inches long and 1½ inches wide. Using salt, black pepper and garlic salt season the chicken strips. Individually coat chicken strips in the corn flour and shake off any excess coating before placing into hot oil. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes either side. Remove fried strips and place in oven on a wire racked backing pan to keep warm.
- Reheat butter and hot sauce mixture. Remove cooked chicken strips from the oven and coat all of them in hot sauce mixture.
- On the tortilla wraps first layer spinach followed by buffalo chicken strips. Top with zesty blue cheese and finish with chopped apples.