It is really winter (sigh). Temperatures of 40°F, sun sets at 4pm and layer upon layer….upon layer of clothes, its cold out…did I say that already?…yup…its winter.
While to the Britts it’s not that bad but for me… an island girl, this is like being in Antarctica. Ok maybe that is a bit extreme but point is its cold, and what better to warm you up then a bowl of coconut creamy, curry spiced butternut squash soup, can you say yum!
I use to be one of those people who thought that soups were not filling; as my mom would say ‘water doesn’t stay on a hill’. But the heartiness of the butternut squash itself makes this dish very wholesome, and this is the soup that changed my mind on all soups.
I find that pre-cooking the squash saves time and makes the process simpler since peeling it can be difficult. Read my suggestion on the best way to easily peel and pre-cook your butternut squash.
So if you are feeling that cold winter air…or if you just fancy a bowl of a simply delicious soup, then give this recipe a go. You can make it in advance freeze portions for later too if you wish (meal prepping score!).
- 1 butternut quash
- 1 medium potato
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cumin
- Cook butternut squash in the oven. Read my post on the best way to pre-cook and peel your butternut squash. After the squash is cooked and peel cut into medium sized chunks.
- Peel and cut the potato into small to medium chunks and boil in non-salted water until a fork can pierce through a few pieces. Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- In a frying pan melt the butter and sauté onions until they become soft.
- In a large sauce pan simmer the coconut milk and vegetable stock then add in all seasonings. Let fluids cool slightly before blending.
- In a blender add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add mixture into large sauce pan to reheat, than serve.