I have sinned, and so I must confess.
I confess…In the last 4 weeks I have eaten pizza 2 times, fries 4 times and I do not actually know how many times I’ve eaten chocolate or some other sweet (…it’s been that many!). I confess…in the last 3 weeks I’ve exercised all but 5 times. I confess…I need to do better!
OK so maybe I exaggerated and sin is a bit of a stretch. But I get that feeling I’m doing something oh so wrong! (well after I’ve finished eating anyway).
But not to worry, I’m about to make a 180 and take a step in the right direction. And if any of you out there are in the same boat as I am don’t worry, we’re going to jump start those better eating habits with this very recipe!
I’ve made this recipe a few times now and let me just say; it’s amazing how great you feel mentally and physically when you are eating healthier. This recipe calls on the wonderful creamy goodness that is the butternut squash and the little crispy crunch of both the zucchini and the radish. Oh and let’s not forget my personal favourite part, the mouth-watering kick (literally) that is found in those rocket chilies.
Cous Cous is a wonderful alternative to rice and pasta and is just as wholesome. And for me the plus is that it has so much more potential regarding variety
I just love how guilt free this recipe is. And as with a lot of my favourite recipes this one is quick, simple and makes a great weeknight dinner or lunch for the next day. And be forewarned you may be the envy of a few co-workers if you do take it to work.
- Vegetable Medley
- 3 cups loosely packed Spinach
- ½ Butternut Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 3 Cumberland Pork Sausages
- 8 Radishes
- 2 Rocket Chillies
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1¼ cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Cous Cous
- Vegetable Medley
- Pre-heat oven to 135°C (275°F).
- Start by rinsing all vegetables under cool water.
- Dice the zucchini, radishes and butternut squash into small half inch cubes.
- You can pre-bake the butternut squash by following my step on PRE-COOKING BUTTERNUT SQUASH. Simply alter the time to 15 minutes enough to soften the skin for peeling.
- In a large bowl coat all diced vegetables with the olive oil and seasoning until all ingredients are well integrated. Mince rocket chillies and incorporate them into the vegetable mixture.
- Place vegetable on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop the spinach leaves and set aside.
- Place the pork sausages in a separate sheet and into the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn the sausages over and mix vegetables.
- Over medium high heat bring the vegetable stock to a boil then add in cous cous and cover.
- After 5 minutes remove the pot from the heat set aside to allow cous cous to continue swelling for 15 minutes. Use a fork to separate and fluff grains. Remove the vegetables and sausages from the oven and using a serrated knife slice the sausages lengthwise down the middle then into pieces quarter of an inch thick.
- In a large bowl combine the couscous, vegetables sausages and spinach.
- Best served hot.